Monday, April 6, 2009

Haridwar, Where did this pile of dung come from?

If possible don't delay buying your ticket out of here...this is Kumba Mela land....and it doesn't matter what year, there are pilgrims arriving and departing everyday. This mornings visit to the train station to buy my ticket was trying anyone's patience but after 2 tries and a power outage, success at last. I will not go to Chandigarh, Amritsar or anywhere else at this point but straight to Dharamsala...Those places will have to wait.
Yesterday I went with a french couple from Brussels up to Richikesh and now I can see why so many westereners go there...it's quite beautiful nestled in the hills with the Ganga flowing through and not so many crowds of people as it's not a major stop for NRI's (this is how the newspaper described the guy from lost altos recently). Anyway, once you get up to the higher points of the town it's quite pleasant and I can imagine a retreat here when I need a break from other places already.
Day before I did make it into Rajiji Nat. Park. Found my way to Mohans Adventure services and it turns out he's the Man! Apparently in all the books....anyway he's great! Took me in the morning to visit a small nomadic tribal village and explained to me the process they are going through with the govt. tryng to relocate them and how he's been getting involved with that...what is he not involved with? x- car racing driver...film-maker (in fact he made the Kumba Mela film) and on the 19th for 10 days he's organized plastic surgeons to come and work on people who are in need of that service; he mostly wants to reach people who really wouldn't have access. I'm thinking of coming back down to offer massage/accupressure during that time.
Then he took me to his house and we had the best lunch I've had in India so far. Seriously, I had to put a new notch in my belt cause I'm loosing weight. Balbeer will be happy to know I miss her cooking so much. In the afternoon the French couple Jeremie & Virgin joined us for safari. Lots of spotted deer and amazing birds; kingfisher, egyptian vultures, parrots, sunbirds and later I'll show the photos of the Samba deer who if you can see them your eyes are like magnifying x-ray machines but for sure they are there... We saw 3 herds of elephants but alas no leopards or tigers. There is nothing like the sound of the elephants swishing through the tall grass. All in all an amazing day.
p.s. Todays title is a multi reference to a great book title by an Ajahn who's name I can't remember and Yes dung on the street but also this extra baggage I've somehow accumulated some of which is deliveries for other people. hmmmm what happened to my beautiful tiny suitcase concept? oh yeah multi climates and many moons.
p.s.s. As I mentioned to someone before arriving in Haridwar I had this sensation that I would come here and miss HHDL and guess what,he was here for a conference and he left the day I got here. so I'm told....hmmmm is there a pattern here?

1 comment:

  1. fascinating stories, Sheyli! Wish you had put in some more info about Rajaji, though. I have been trying to get in without a travel guide, but the Forest Warden at dehradun told me I need to be in a group of atleast 4 people, and a vehicle to enter. How did you get around that?

    ReplyDelete