So after a snafu...the ticket agent sold me a ticket to Ahallabad instead of the nearset station to Varansi...so i failed to get off the train...but no worries...Vimalalakshila? was where I got off and got a bus so instead of arriving 6pm. I got to Varansi at 10:30 by bus...The fortunate thing is that the first person I met was R. Panda who was able to hook me up with a nice hotel and gave me the whirlwind guide I needed for such a short stay. Without him I would have missed much...He turns out to have a masters in Eng. Lit. too. I did go to Deer Park the first day of course. In the evening we stopped at the Durga temple it is her week after all and then we headed for the river for the evening puja which was fantastic. I got to have my first sugarcane/beet/lime juice which I've been eyeing since arriving in India. TASTY! Memories too of chewing on s.c. after begging my mom to buy it for me at Stater bros as a kid. But I'm sure it never tasted this good. Lime the amazing perk to any dish. The next morning I was up before dawn and took a ride on the river...supposedly very auspicious to see the sun rise from the Ganga and this ancient city really is beautiful by the dawns early light. Plus the bodies weren't yet burning. Somehow I missed the burns though I did see some preparations. Then over to the university and the Shiva temple very shanti. There was even a statue of him with many heads...first I've seen of this...he's usually represented as an abstract form and last but not least a visit to the silk weaving district. Where I couldn't resist to buy a piece of pink/orange to be made into a kurta later.
Then the long train to Haridwar where I am now. My room looks out on a great view of the aqua building across the street with the relief of krishna with his flute and the mountains behind. So far this is the cleanest place I've been in all of asia I think. Of course it is Durga festival now as it was in Benares so many pilgrims are arriving everyday...Yesterday I took a walk down to the bathing ghats and made long life prayers for my family...that's what 100 r will get you...not sure what 1000 gets. As my friend Supron says religion is an expensive business.
So today I will take a walk with the crowd up to the temple on the mountain I'm assuming it won't be hard to find the stream of pilgrims going up. The architecture here is really beautiful and old. Pink seems to be a favorite color. Except for ashrams which vary.
Tomorrow I will catch an autoriksha to Rishikesh. How could I not. Or if I get the chance Rajaji National Park is on the way and I'm told it's worth the expense to spend a night or day over there. Maybe see a tiger?!
The weather is very comfortable here, a nice breeze and cool air. Last night there was a thunder shower and the air was even fresher this morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment